Sunday, November 22, 2009

Teacher Preparation Programs

The two readings we completed for last week on principal preparation and programs was interesting. In chapter 23, one particular area I really enjoyed reading about was the considerations for program design in principal preparation programs. Kelley and Peterson (2002) noted "The development of effective school leaders cannot occur in any single program or time period. Rather it must be part of a long and complex process that builds and accumulates skills and knowledge over time and in different ways." (pp.372-373). The model programs listed afterwards, although still undergoing assessment for effectiveness, reviewed classroom knowledge and field placements in different areas.

As I was thinking about higher education, one of the classes I took at another university, had us complete a project on the future of student affairs as a profession. In the K-12 arena, there are boards for licensure, standards, and tests to complete as entrance into the profession. Although student affairs does have master's programs required for entry into the profession, a master's in student personnel isn't the only degree that will allow one to enter higher education. There are several documents in student affairs that indicate a code of ethics and bodies of knowledge useful for the field, but there isn't one overall exam or criteria for the profession. I am not suggesting their should be one either, but these last two chapters along with a previous course started me thinking about it again. Any other thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Dena,

    I don't like standardized tests any more than the next person, but I think that having such a test might give student affairs professionals more "clout". Perhaps we would be taken more seriously...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me begin by saying I am not higher ed, but I found your line of thinking very interesting. What do you think about a portfolio to present?

    ReplyDelete